Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Service Reflection #2

Today, I went to Open Doors Academy with my service group. I worked with DiAndre (Turns out I was spelling it wrong. Oops.) and Jaelyn again, and they were working on individual projects about Native American tribes. They seemed to have a handle on it so I wasn't much help. The boys don't know how to take notes; They simply copy everything from the website word for word in their notes, so I was trying to point out key words and phrases that they'd want to make notes of. They had a friend with them that was also working that obviously did not like my presence-- not that I can really blame him. I must seem pretty unfamiliar.

I'm feeling slightly underutilized. Everyone gets their homework done prior to the time we get there. I sit awkwardly and don't really know how to act or what to do. I feel like I'm one of the only people in my group actually trying though. I turned around, and three of the five of us were just sitting around talking to each other. One girl was helping with a kid's homework, our driver was doing the same, and then I was trying to help with the boys' projects. I wish I could be of more use. When taking part in an activity like this, I need to keep occupied. I hate doing nothing. I feel like I need to find a way to be more involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment