Tuesday, November 13, 2012

"What does it mean to grow up with privilege?"

With service, I have learned that to grow up with privilege ultimately means that I have had access to an education. Many of these kids can't read well, if they can read at all. I was reading small chapter books when I entered kindergarten. Also, most of these kids can't do simple addition or subtraction without a calculator, something that I gave up doing in elementary school as well. I never realized that it wasn't the norm for everyone to be as educated as I was. Being around 14 year-olds who have lacked a solid education really enlightening. It makes me feel like more should be done to help with that though. I tend to wonder why these kids haven't had access to education, which is something I can't find an answer to, unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment